Tuesday, August 18, 2009

2009-08-18



Finally got around to taking a photo of my newly restored Holly Hobbie quilt. My great-grandmother made this for me, likely not long after I was born. Over the course of 30+ years, I had quite literally loved most of the quilting right out of it. The fabric layers were separating, the batting was ragged and slouching, and it was just not in good shape. My parents had it professionally cleaned, re-batted, and requilted, and it looks fantastic! I know the photo is a little dark, but I was trying to highlight the shadows so you could see that the quilting goes around each motif and mimics the curves on the fabric. It was all done free-motion (translation: done by hand (not a computer programmed quilting machine) using a sewing machine). I am so very pleased with the work, and so happy to have my beloved quilt back.

No comments:

Post a Comment